Training Grades K-3
Know the Bus Rules!
- Stay out of the bus danger zone
- When riding the bus, remain seated at all times
- Keep hands, feet and belongings to yourself
- Use quiet voices and be courteous
- Follow the driver’s instructions
- Bring only school-approved items on the bus
- Be respectful of bus space and equipment
Waiting for the Bus!
- Dress for the weather
- Be on time – arrive no more than 10 minutes before the bus arrives
- Use respectful behaviors:
- Hands/feet to self
- Stay away from curb and off the road
- Use kind words
- Stay at bus stop
- Wait for the bus to STOP, then get on
Riding the bus is a privilege, not a right.
If you want the "right" keep safety in sight!
Know the Consequences!
The school bus has rules and consequences just like a classroom.
Know the Danger Zone!
- The “danger zone” is all the space within 10 giant steps around the bus.
- The most dangerous areas are close to the tires and right in front of the bus.
- REMEMBER! The driver can not see you in the “danger zone!”
- Always cross in front of the bus. Wait for the driver to signal.
- Never enter the “danger zone” to pick up papers, mittens, balls, etc.
Know Evacuation Procedures
There are three different evacuation plans
- Using only the front service door
- Using only the rear (or side) emergency door
- Using both the service door and the emergency door
- Be quiet and wait for instruction
- Be alert, move quickly and leave personal belongings on the bus
- Keep your feet out of the aisle, go out seat by seat, alternating sides
- Duck your head when going out the emergency door
- After you are out of the door, move away from the bus as this clears the way for others to follow.
- Go a distance of at least 100 feet from the bus and remain there in a group until given further instructions by the driver
riding the bus!
- When the door opens, enter the bus one at a time using the handrail.
- Go directly to your assigned seat and sit down
- Backs to the back, seats to the seat, feet point toward the floor. (Sitting safe)
- Keep your body inside the bus
- Use a quiet voice
- Keep hands and feet to self
- Keep aisle clear
- Do not throw anything
- Your bus driver is in charge
- Take care of the bus
- No eating or drinking on the bus
- Animals, weapons, and illegal drugs are not allowed
- Do not tamper with bus safety equipment
Leaving the Bus!
- Stay in your seat until the bus stops
- Remember to take everything with you
- Exit from front to back
- Quickly exit the “danger zone”
- Don't push or crowd
- Use the handrail
- Look both ways and watch for the driver to signal before crossing in front of the bus
- When arriving at school, go directly to your assigned area
- After school, go directly home or to daycare