At the February 15, 2017 Special School Board meeting, the Independent School District 15 (ISD 15) School Board approved a resolution to submit a Review and Comment to Minnesota Department of Education for a bond referendum.
The School Board unanimously approved a resolution at the School Board meeting February 27, 2017 “determining the necessity of issuing general obligation bonds and calling a special election.”
The proposed improvements will allow ISD 15 to address current programmatic and physical needs within all of the District’s facilities. In summary, components of the proposed improvements include:
- Improvements necessary to address deferred maintenance and physical facility needs within the existing District facilities including replacement of aging infra-structure and interior finishes.
- Renovations, additions, and site improvements at existing facilities to eliminate portable classrooms, re-organize growing and emerging programs like special education and other specials, and renovations and updates needed to better accommodate programmatic and curricular goals associated with 21st Century learning concepts.
- Districtwide safety and security improvements including creation of secure entries to ensure safe and welcoming environments for all District students, staff, and community users.
- Site improvements to improve onsite traffic flow and pedestrian safety.
- Improvements to activities spaces and amenities to better accommodate current programs and offerings.
How long will the proposed referendum improvements last?
The District fully realizes the facility investments being proposed are significant and must address our needs and issues long-term. Physical facility improvements such as mechanical and electrical infra-structure, etc. will be designed to be 30 to 40 year solutions. Proposed remodeling and renovation work will be completed with future flexibility in mind so that our buildings are more easily adaptable to future program and educational changes and evolution.
The District is excited about this opportunity to address some of the major needs that exist. School Board members, District administrators and staff members will continue to work diligently to disseminate information and to respond to questions regarding the bond referendum.
Do you have a question that was not answered in Frequently Asked Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A core value of ISD 15 is,
"We believe that our community flourishes when individuals, families and organizations collaborate."